The Supervisor Certificate Series is for all VCU employees who supervise at least one classified staff.
- Supervisors earn a certificate after completing all workshops in a cluster. There are currently five clusters in the series.
- The series contains both the best of our current open enrollment workshops and newly developed trainings.
- The workshops are clustered around a theme and designed to provide supervisors with skills and knowledge they need to have in order to manage well in core areas.
- You get credit for the workshops you’ve already completed as long as you can provide documentation (your transcript).
- You can start taking workshops NOW and as they are offered on the open enrollment schedule.
- You can take workshops in any order unless a pre-requisite is required.
The Supervisor Certificate Series allows you to align your development with VCU's Quest for Distinction, get credit for your learning in manageable and meaningful "chunks," and showcase your investment in and application of learning. Ready to register? Visit training.vcu.edu and register for one or more of the classes listed below. Questions? Contact Penny McFarline, Organizational Development Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Courses and Certificates
The Basic Certificate
The First 90 days
Policies and procedures overview for new supervisors
Team Building Certificate
Building a team: the basics
Group dynamics and team development
Coaching and Culture Certificate
Thanks for the feedback
Supervisor as a coach
Employee Performance & Development Certificate
Supervisors role in the performance appraisal process
Feedback for improved performance
Recognition, reinforcement and rewards
New Employee Management Certificate
Building your new employee on-boarding program
Managing the probationary period
Conducting regular supervision meetings