Did you know that community service leave is one of your many benefits as a VCU employee?
Community Service Opportunities
Contact Information: Sudeshna Das- Menezes, Director of Volunteer Services.
Description: Feed More offers a variety of different community service opportunities such as:
- Community Kitchen- Volunteers will package meals, assist with light prep work or make bread and butter bags.
- Senior Packing Program- Volunteers will pack shelf stable items in boxes for distribution to eligible seniors.
- Distribution Center- Volunteers will sort donation and pack boxes for distribution to our agencies.
Organization: Richmond Habitat
Contact Information: Whitney Guthrie, Director of Community Engagement. firstname.lastname@example.org
Hayley Morris, email@example.com
Description: Richmond Habitat offers a variety of different community service opportunities such as:
- Women Build- Habitat for Humanity’s Women Build program brings together women from all walks of life to address the housing crisis facing millions of women and children worldwide. (Currently Builds - in Richmond in the Randolph and Maymont Neighborhoods and will be working on those houses through the end of March.)
- Global Village- A team will be going to Thailand to build homes in October 2020.
- Richmond and Chesterfield ReStore- The ReStore is a retail outlet offering building and home improvement supplies for sale to the general public at greatly reduced prices. The new, gently used supplies are donated by individuals, contractors, and suppliers.
- Warehouse Organization Blitz- Volunteers will be clearing out overstock product and working on optimizing storage spaces.
Organization: HandsOn Greater Richmond
Contact information: https://www.handsonrva.org/
Organization that lists different projects going on in the Richmond area looking for volunteers. You can search for volunteer opportunities by date, project, or interest.
Organization: Backpacks for the Homeless RVA
Contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org
A group of people who endeavor to improve the life and well being of the homeless population in our area.
Contact information: Alison Jones-Nassar, email@example.com
Organization that has been helping individuals with disabilities, and their families, for over 65 years. Numerous volunteer opportunities available.
Contact information: https://www.volunteermatch.org/
VolunteerMatch is the largest network in the nonprofit world, with the most volunteers, nonprofits and opportunities to make a difference.
Matches volunteers to opportunities by zip code
Organization: United Way
Contact information: https://www.yourunitedway.org/get-involved/volunteer/
United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg makes it easy to get involved with a variety of opportunities throughout the year.
Organization: Shepherd’s Way Relief Center
Contact information: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70a0445a9aa2ca4f58-shepherds
- Thrift Shop Helper
- Kitchen Servers
- Coffee Server
- Clothing Distribution
- Clean Up
- Food Pantry
Organization: Autism Society Central Virginia
Description: ASCV is looking for an organized and enthusiastic individual to volunteer regularly at their office located on 200 S. 3rd Street Richmond, VA 23219. Volunteers would be expected to do a number of things such as:
- Provide day-to-day operational support, implementing regular administrative tasks
- Coordinate logistical details for upcoming fundraising events and initiatives.
- Manage program tasks, such as tracking attendance, volunteers, registration, and feedback.
- Update databases and/or tracking documents.
- Support preparation for upcoming programs and events.
Organization: Holt International
Contact Information: Ms. Sasha Vincent
Description: When you volunteer, you lift children out of crisis and set the course for a sustainable long-term solution to the hardships they face. While singing up new child sponsors during the Crabb Family 2020 Vision Tour, you help families thrive and empower children to reach their full potential. Volunteers would be expected to:
- Work at tables or in the aisles around the arena.
- Help people sign up to sponsor a child in need.
- Hand out information and answer questions about sponsorship and adoption.
Organization: Goochland Cares
Contact Information: Diane Reale, Director of Volunteer Resources.
Description: Goochland Cares’ mission is to provide health care and basic human services to Goochland residents who are in need of assistance. Volunteers would be expected to pack 400 bags of food for GoochlandCares Food Pantry clients.
RamPantry@VCU - emergency food for students in need
The RamPantry@VCU was created to help in-need students with healthy, appropriate emergency food. Any VCU student with a valid VCUCard ID can access the pantry once a week. The pantry is located in the University Student Commons, Room 121, and is open on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Needed items for the pantry include any canned protein source (tuna, chicken, meats, stews), peanut butter, rice, pasta, cereal and canned fruit. For more information or to host a food collection, contact the RamPantry at firstname.lastname@example.org.