Inclement weather procedures
The decision to close VCU due to inclement weather is made by university administration. University employees will be notified by their supervisors or department heads as to whether they are designated employees who are required to work their scheduled shifts during inclement weather. If the university remains open or reopens during inclement weather, approved employee absences will be covered by accrued leave or leave without pay, as appropriate.
- Listen for announcements on major area radio and television stations. Note: No media announcement is made if VCU is open
- Call VCU-OPEN (828-6736) for current VCU operating status
- Check the VCU Alert website for current advisories (or VCU's alternate website if access to servers is unavailable)
- Sign up to receive emergency text messages and emails
- Follow VCU on Twitter@VCUnews and Facebook@VCU
- Look for information on digital screens in major academic buildings and all residence halls on the Monroe Park and MCV Campuses
- MCV Campus schools may post additional information on school websites or hotlines
- Enroll in VCU Parking and Transportation’s text service at www.parking.vcu.edu/news-and-alerts/text-service to stay informed of parking impacts, such as facility closings and relocations due to inclement weather or emergencies.
VCU inclement weather plans
Plan 1. All day classes on both the Monroe Park and MCV Campuses are canceled. All faculty and staff offices are closed. Designated employees must report to work at the time established for the inclement weather incident.
Plan 2. All day classes on both the Monroe Park and MCV Campuses are delayed starting and faculty and staff offices are delayed opening until (a specified time – to be announced). Designated employees must report to work at the time established for the inclement weather incident.
Plan 3. All day classes on the _____ Campus are (canceled or delayed starting until _____). All faculty and staff offices on the _____ Campus are (closed or delayed opening until _____). Designated employees must report to work at the time established for the inclement weather incident.
Separate announcements will be made for evening and Saturday classes.
Personnel Who Work Outside the Day Shift: All employees on shifts following a closing or late opening must report to work as scheduled unless additional announcements are made for their particular shifts.
Parking Assignments during Inclement Weather Closings: VCU faculty, staff and students who hold valid parking decals for VCU decks should continue to use their assigned decks. For updates on lot clearings and alternate parking locations, as applicable, VCU faculty, staff and students who hold valid parking decals for VCU surface lots should visit the Parking and Transportation website for updates.
When inclement weather or other emergency conditions cause one campus to remain open while another closes, employees follow the instructions that affect the campus on which they are housed or to which they primarily report. If classes are in session on a particular campus, offices are also open.
Late opening and closing announcements for state government do not apply to VCU. A separate announcement will be made about VCU's operating status.
VCU Health System
VCU Health System (VCUHS) team members have a separate inclement weather plan. Call the VCUHS inclement weather line 628-SNOW or refer to the VCU Alert page at alert.vcu.edu for current information regarding the health system’s status during inclement weather.