What is workers' compensation?

Faculty members, classified staff, or hourly or student workers who are injured on the job may be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits. State law requires employers to provide employees with necessary protection against work-related accidents and to provide care when injuries occur.

Do I have to report an accident that occurred at work?

Yes. Please report all work-related injuries/illnesses within 24 hours of their occurrence.

Can I be treated by my primary care physician?

No. In order to be covered for a work-related injury or disease, employees must select a physician from a panel provided by the institution. The third-party administrator may deny the claim if medical treatment is sought from any other physician.

Who determines if my claim is covered?

A claims examiner from the third-party insurer will investigate the claim to review how the injury occurred and all related medical information. The claims examiner may also ask you to complete a questionnaire and conduct a telephone interview with you, your supervisor, co-workers and/or witnesses.

What forms do I need to complete?

Please complete an accident report form and a physician selection form in order to file a workers’ compensation claim. You can get these on the forms section of this site.

Please take or send the completed forms to:
VCU Employee Health Services
1200 East Broad Street, Room 122
P.O. Box 980134
Richmond, Virginia 23298-0134

What medical benefits are covered?

In general, if the law covers a work-related injury or illness, employees will receive benefits, payment for loss of wages and rehabilitation services in some cases. The third-party insurer will pay for one initial visit to any emergency room, as well as all medical care deemed necessary by a physician from the institution’s panel. If medical treatment for the injury or illness is sought from any other physician, the third-party administrator may deny the claim.

In general, medical coverage is provided for a period of up to two years from the date of the injury or illness. If you are unable to work for more than seven calendar days — as determined by the panel physician — you will be eligible to receive medical benefits for as long as necessary.

How does it affect FMLA and ADA?

Family and Medical Leave (FMLA) and Americans with Disabilities (ADA) laws may cover employees with an occupational injury or disease. They require supervisors to notify employees of their rights and responsibilities and also allow employees to use workers’ compensation leave concurrently with FMLA leave.

If I lose time from my job, how will I be compensated?

Salaried employees with a medically certified disability are eligible to receive workers’ compensation leave for up to 92 calendar days. Once a claim is filed, the supervisor may record time away from the job as workers’ compensation leave. The workers’ compensation office will authorize workers’ compensation leave after you have seen the selected panel physician.

Under the Workers’ Compensation Act, hourly workers are also subject to the same seven-day waiting period before becoming eligible for lost-time benefits. Their compensation is paid directly by the third-party administrator. Leave authorizations are not available for hourly employees.

If my claim is denied, how will this action affect my lost time?

We will notify you if the third-party administrator denies your claim. We will amend your leave records using your available leave. If you do not have sufficient leave to cover the time missed, you must reimburse the institution for any unauthorized leave time taken.

If I cannot work my regular shift temporarily, how will this change affect my department?

You must fully comply with the physician’s instructions, even if they include working at reduced hours and/or with restrictions, such as light duty or modified work. The act requires departments to attempt to provide you with a job that meets your medical restrictions.