Enroll in Benefits
For information about enrolling in benefits, click the desired topic below to open the accordion.
Enroll during the first 30 calendar days of eligible employment, during annual open enrollment, or within 60 days of a qualifying mid-year event. Make allowable changes during open enrollment or within 60 days of a qualifying mid-year event.
- Review health plan options, 2022-2023 monthly premiums and Benefits At A Glance.
- Use the ALEX decision tool to help choose a plan.
- Enroll online using the state plan's Cardinal system (see registration instructions and enrollment instructions). Submit eligibility documents to VCU Human Resources for each family member you elect to cover.
- If you are unable to enroll online, complete the Health Benefits Enrollment Form (under Health care and wellness forms) and attach eligibility documents for each family member you elect to cover.
- If you are enrolling due to a qualifying mid-year event, submit documentation to VCU Human Resources substantiating the event (e.g. new family member, loss of other coverage). See Changing your benefits for details.
- If you are transferring to VCU from another Commonwealth of Virginia agency that participates in the state health benefits program, see Transferring from another state agency.
Enroll during the first 30 calendar days of eligible employment, during annual open enrollment, or within 60 days of a qualifying mid-year event. Make allowable changes within 60 days of a qualifying mid-year event. Annual enrollment is required to continue participating each year.
- Review 2022 - 2023 Flexible Spending Sourcebook
- Make your election online using the state plan's Cardinal system (see registration instructions and enrollment instructions).
- If you are unable to enroll online, make your election using the Health Benefits Enrollment Form (under Health care and wellness forms)
- If you are transferring from another Commonwealth of Virginia agency that participates in the state health benefits program, see Transferring from another state agency.
New faculty, postdoctoral employees, and University and Academic Professionals are automatically enrolled in the Virginia Retirement System (VRS) and no application is required. Exception: Faculty members, postdoctoral scholar employees, and those University and Academic Professionals in job titles eligible for the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP) may elect between VRS and ORP within the first 60 days of eligible employment. If no election is made, VRS enrollment occurs by default after 60 days.
If you are eligible for the ORP:
- Complete an Election of Retirement Plan (ORP) form (under Retirement forms) during your first 60 days of eligibility to elect VRS or ORP.
- If you elect ORP, open your ORP account online with TIAA or Fidelity Investments.
- If you elect VRS, VCU will enroll you in VRS. No further paperwork is required.
- If you are transferring from another Commonwealth of Virginia public institution of higher education, see Transferring from another state agency.
New faculty and University and Academic Professionals are automatically enrolled in the VCU 403(b) Tax Deferred Annuity plan with TIAA on the 60th day of employment unless they actively enroll in voluntary retirement savings before that date. All other employees must actively enroll if they wish to participate. All employees are also eligible to participate in the Commonwealth of Virginia 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan.
- To actively enroll in the VCU 403(b) Tax Deferred Annuity Plan, open a VCU 403(b) account online with TIAA or Fidelity Investments and complete a Salary Reduction Agreement (under Payroll Forms) documenting your savings amount and investment company. If you are a faculty member or a University and Academic Professional, also open a VCU Cash Match Account online with TIAA or Fidelity Investments, using the same investment company you chose for your 403(b).
- To actively enroll in the Commonwealth of Virginia 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan, enroll online at www.varetirement.org/dcp or call 1-877-327-5261. Exception: Adjunct, hourly, graduate assistant, and postdoctoral employees must use a paper enrollment form for this plan and cannot enroll online.
Basic life insurance is automatically provided by VCU through the Virginia Retirement System policy for state employees. You may enroll in additional coverage under the Optional Life Insurance Program at any time, however approval is guaranteed only within the first 31 days of eligible employment. Learn more about the life insurance program at https://lifebenefits.com/plandesign/vrs.
- Complete your beneficiary designation online using the myVRS portal on the Virginia Retirement System website.
- If desired, apply for Optional Life Insurance online using the myVRS portal on the Virginia Retirement System website.
- When applying for optional coverage after 31 days of employment, or for more than the guaranteed amount during the first 31 days of employment, the myVRS system may direct you to submit Evidence of Insurability for review.
Employees age 65 and under may apply for coverage with limited underwriting within the first 60 days of eligible employment. All other eligible employees, and their eligible family members, may apply at any time with full underwriting. For details, see Long-term care insurance.
Transferring between Commonwealth of Virginia agencies that participate in the state health benefits program is not a qualifying mid-year event to change health benefits or flexible spending elections. Elections in force at your previous agency must continue at VCU until your next opportunity to make changes during open enrollment or with a qualifying mid-year event. To ensure uninterrupted coverage, provide a copy of your pay stub or other documentation verifying your health coverage and/or flexible spending elections at your previous agency by attaching it to an HR support request ticket at https://go.vcu.edu/hrsupport or emailing it to email@example.com. The same rule applies if you are rehired to state service with less than a 30 day break in state health benefits program eligibility. The documentation that you provide should include the name of your health plan, who is covered, your premium amount, and any flexible spending contribution elections in force at your previous state agency.
If you are transferring from an ORP-eligible job at another Virginia public higher education institution to an ORP-eligible job at VCU without a bona fide break in state service, you must maintain the same retirement plan election (VRS or ORP) at VCU that was in force at your previous institution.
Any optional life insurance, Deferred Compensation Plan, or voluntary Virginia Retirement System Hybrid Plan contribution elections from your previous agency do not continue automatically when you transfer, but may be re-elected at VCU.
Return election forms (except DocuSign) by creating a service request at go.vcu.edu/hrsupport, by email or fax, or by uploading to VCU Filelocker.
- Service request: go.vcu.edu/hrsupport
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: (804) 827-4728 - Enrollment/Election Forms and Supporting Documentation
- VCU Filelocker: Be sure to share your upload with email@example.com.
DocuSign forms route to VCU Human Resources automatically when you click Finish, and you receive a copy of your completed form by email for your records.
Returning forms by hand delivery, campus mail, or postal mail can delay processing. If you choose to mail forms, please ensure sufficient time for them to be received by your enrollment deadline. The mailing address for VCU Human Resources is found at the bottom left of this web page.
For any questions related to submitting your election(s), create a service request at go.vcu.edu/hrsupport or call (804) 827-1723