For more information about benefits, click the desired topic below to open the accordion.
Enroll during first 30 calendar days of eligible employment, during annual open enrollment, or within 60 days of a qualifying mid-year event. Make allowable changes during open enrollment or within 60 days of a qualifying mid-year event.
- Review health plan options, monthly premiums, and benefits at a glance
- Use the ALEX decision tool to help choose a plan
- Complete the Health Benefits Enrollment Form (under Healthcare and Wellness Forms)
- Attach eligibility documents for any family members being added to your plan
- If you are enrolling due to a qualifying mid-year event, attach documentation substantiating the event (e.g. new family member, loss of other coverage)
Enroll during first 30 calendar days of eligible employment, during annual open enrollment, or within 60 days of a qualifying mid-year event. Make allowable changes within 60 days of a qualifying mid-year event. Annual enrollment is required to continue participating each year.
New faculty and University and Academic Professionals are automatically enrolled in the Virginia Retirement System (VRS) and no application is required. Exception: All faculty members and those University and Academic Professionals in job titles eligible for the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP) may elect between VRS and ORP within the first 60 days of eligible employment. If no election is made, VRS enrollment occurs by default after 60 days.
If you are eligible for the ORP:
New faculty and University and Academic Professionals are automatically enrolled in the VCU 403(b) Tax Deferred Annuity plan with TIAA on the 60th day of employment unless they actively enroll in voluntary retirement savings before that date. All other employees must actively enroll if they wish to participate. All employees are also eligible to participate in the Commonwealth of Virginia 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan.
- To actively enroll in the VCU 403(b) Tax Deferred Annuity Plan, open a VCU 403(b) account online with TIAA or Fidelity Investments and complete a Salary Reduction Agreement (under Payroll Forms) documenting your savings amount and investment company. If you are a faculty member or a University and Academic Professional, also open a VCU Cash Match Account online with TIAA or Fidelity Investments, using the same investment company you chose for your 403(b).
- To actively enroll in the Commonwealth of Virginia 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan, enroll online at www.varetirement.org/dcp or call 1-877-327-5261. Exception: Adjunct, hourly, graduate assistant, and postdoctoral employees must use a paper enrollment form for this plan and cannot enroll online.
Basic life insurance is automatically provided by VCU through the VRS policy for state employees. You may enroll in additional coverage under the Optional Life Insurance Program at any time, however approval is guaranteed only within the first 31 days of eligible employment. See the brochure.
- Complete a Designation of Beneficiary Form. If you elected ORP as your retirement plan, leave Part C blank. Use Employer Code 30236 for VCU. Send the original to VRS and keep a copy.
- If applying for Optional Life Insurance send the application form to VCU HR for signature.
- If applying after 31 days of employment, or for more than the guaranteed amount during the first 31 days of employment, complete the Group Evidence of Insurability Form and return it directly to the insurance company at the address on the form.
All election forms and supporting documents can be returned to:
- 600 W. Franklin Street (Box: 842511)
- 104 N. Belvidere Street (Box: 842511)
- Fax: (804) 827-4728 - Enrollment/Election Forms and Supporting Documentation
- Fax: (804) 828-2968 - Retirement Account Distribution Requests and All Other Correspondence
For any questions related to benefits, call (804) 827-1723 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Benefits Blog: wp.vcu.edu/benefits