Service Recognition Celebration postponed
VCU’s commitment to a Culture of Appreciation includes the annual presentation of the President’s Awards for Professional and Administrative Distinction and the Dorris Douglas Budd Award for exemplary administrative support. We look forward to presenting these awards each year as part of our Service Recognition Celebration.
Because we continue in a phased return to campus that prevents us from enjoying large group celebrations, we won’t be holding our traditional Service Recognition Celebration in October. Instead, we will be rescheduling the celebration for this academic year for Spring, 2021, and the President’s Awards and the Dorris Douglas Budd Award presentations will be part of the rescheduled celebration.
More details about the nomination processes and timelines will be provided at a later date.
Dorris Douglas Budd Award
Established in 1981, this award honors a VCU or VCU Health administrative office support staff member who demonstrates exemplary performance. and enhances the image and mission of VCU and VCU Health.
Who may be nominated for these awards? This award recognizes full-time administrative support staff who are reliable, are able to make decisions within the scope of their authority, are innovative in their jobs, know where to find answers within internal and external "connections", are service oriented, show pride in both VCU and their job, and have demonstrated professional growth. Please include any significant contribution the nominee has made to VCU or VCU Health. An employee who was nominated in a previous year, but was not chosen as the award winner, may be nominated again. However, a new nomination and new supporting documentation must be submitted.
Who can make the nomination? Any employee of VCU or VCU Health who has a thorough knowledge of the candidate's strengths and accomplishments, however, individuals may not nominate themselves. It is not appropriate to nominate a family member, spouse, or partner.
Prepare the text of your nomination in advance. We highly recommend that you write the body of your nomination in a word document and paste it into the fields in the online form. Please be sure to address all award criteria including specific statements to substantiate your nomination. Keep a copy of the word document to share with your nominee. As you progress through the online form, you will be able to save your work and return to it later. If you need assistance with the online form, please contact Cindi Phares at email@example.com
Get support. Nominations should be limited to the nomination form and include at least three additional letters of support or commendations received from others based on the award criteria.
Deadline for nominations. Currently closed for 2019. Will reopen late Summer of 2020.
All nominees and nominators are invited to attend the annual Service Recognition Celebration. The winners will be announced there.
2019 Dorris Douglas Budd Award Winner
Betty Arkwright, Department of Radiology
2019 Nominees included:
- Betty Arkwright, Department of Radiology
- Valerie Derricott, NOW Short Pump Center Administration
- Briana Garnett, OR/PACU Administration
- Pamela Hendrix, Office of the Provost and VP Academic Affairs
- Amber Lawrence, Support Services and Planning Administration
- Wesley McKinney, ICU Medical Respiratory
- Victoria Morison, Internal Medicine Clinic
- Paula Oakley, Acute Care Surgery
- Aeman Rasul, Human and Molecular Genetics
- Denise Russell, Dental Clinic Brook Road Support
- Amy Vergilia, Therapy Services Administration Brook Road
- 2018, Margaret Poland, VCU School of Dentistry
- 2017, Deborah Wamsley, VCU Health, Mother/Infant Care Unit
- 2016, Susan Beavers, VCU Health, Wound Care Team
- 2015, Shirley Beavers, VCU Health, Cardiac Surgery ICU
- 2014, Debbie Teconchuk, VCU Medical Center, Clinical Enterprise Administration
- 2013, Deborah D. Van Buren, VCU Department of Communication Arts
- 2012, Wanda P. Clary, VCU Humanities and Sciences & Science, Technology and Society (STS) Program
- 2011, Patricia A. Pleasant, VCU School of Education
- 2010, Deborah L. Weir, VCU School of Medicine
- 2009, Kimberly A. Christman, VCU Department of Radiology
- 2008, Suzanne C. Havasy, VCU Department of Health Administration
- 2007, Linda S. Johnston, VCU Department of Music
- 2006, Deborah L. Stewart, VCU School of Medicine
- 2005, Laurette (Anderson-Conyard) Anderson-Gray, VCU Medical Center Administration
- 2004, Gilda R. Harris-Howard, VCU Department of Internal Medicine
- 2003, Michelle Craighead Wise, VCU Research - Institute for Structural Biology and Drug Discovery
- 2002, Karen S. Moss, VCU Stony Point Administration
- 2001, Miriam L. Mayhew, VCU Department of Clinical Laboratory Sciences
- 2000, Dorothy M. Winfree, VCU Employee Health Services
- 1999, Linda S. Pontius, VCU School of Business
- 1998, Debra B. (Doyle) Cody, VCU Department of Oral/Maxillofacial Surgery
- 1997, Vera E. Wilkerson, VCU Department of Internal Medicine - Cardiology
- 1996, Patricia G. Carr, VCU School of Allied Health Professions
- 1995, Marquita C. Aguilar, VCU School of Education
- 1994, Lila M. (Patterson) Garlick, VCU School of Social Work
- 1993, Monica L. White, VCU School of Allied Health Professions
- 1992, Mary L. Swartz, VCU Department of Psychiatry
- 1991, Janet H. Mundie, VCU School of Medicine
- 1990, Vickie W. Boss, VCU Medical Center Food/Nutrition Services
- 1989, Brenda E. Wyatt, VCU School of Nursing
- 1988, Shirley W. (Jones) Moss, VCU Community/International Programs
- 1987, Carole E. Harwell, VCU School of Nursing
- 1986, Lila M. Patterson, VCU School of Social Work
- 1985, India D. Urbach, VCU Human Resources
- 1984, Nancy (Knowles) Belcher, VCU School of Allied Health Professions
- 1983, Gwen M. Parker, VCU Department of Theatre
- 1982, Jane H. Crawley, VCU School of Social Work