Established in 1981, this award honors a VCU or VCU Health administrative office support staff member who demonstrates exemplary performance. and enhances the image and mission of VCU and VCU Health.
Who may be nominated for this award? This award recognizes a full-time administrative support staff who is reliable, able to make decisions within the scope of their authority, is innovative in their jobs, knows where to find answers within internal and external "connections", is service oriented, shows pride in both VCU/VCU Health and their job, and has demonstrated professional growth. Please include any significant contribution the nominee has made to VCU or VCU Health. An employee who was nominated in a previous year, but was not chosen as the award winner, may be nominated again. However, a new nomination and new supporting documentation must be submitted.
Who can make the nomination? Any employee of VCU or VCU Health who has a thorough knowledge of the candidate's strengths and accomplishments, however, individuals may not nominate themselves. It is not appropriate to nominate a family member, spouse, or partner.
Prepare the text of your nomination in advance. Please be sure to address all award criteria including specific statements to substantiate your nomination. If you need assistance with the nomination form, please contact Cindi Phares at email@example.com
Get support. Nominations should be limited to the nomination form and include at least three additional letters of support or commendations received from others based on the award criteria.
Deadline for nominations. Nominations must be submitted by February 28, 2021. Incomplete nominations (those with less than 3 letters of support) will not be considered.
All nominees and nominators will be invited to attend the annual Service Recognition Celebration. The winner will be announced there. The winner will receive $2,000, a framed certificate, and their name added to the Dorris Douglas Budd Award plaque located in the President's Conference Room.
NOMINATIONS ARE NO LONGER BEING ACCEPTED FOR 2020. STAY TUNED FOR THE 2021 NOMINATION SITE TO OPEN IN LATE SUMMER.
2020 Dorris Douglas Budd Award Winner
Grace Albritton, Center for Community Engagement and Impact
2020 Nominees included:
- Grace Albritton, Administrative Assistant, Center for Community Engagement and Impact
- Carla Dannouf, Finance Manager, SOE Department of Teaching and Learning
- Rosalind Harris, Executive Assistant, Learning, Development, and Organization Culture
- Rachel Mayfield, Nurse Manager Assistant, N6: Medicine Speciality Unit
- Erin McClinton, Special Assistant to the Dean, School of Education
- Karen Olinger, Executive Assistant, School of Medicine Dean's Office
- Tina Olkonen, Executive Assistant to Kaila Cooper and the Hospital Infection Prevention Program, Infection Prevention/Epidemiology
- Barbara Sabol, Assignment Coordinator, Residential Life and Housing
- Mary Teller, Human Resources Associate, VCU Human Resources
- 2019, Betty Arkwright, VCU Health, Department of Radiology
- 2018, Margaret Poland, VCU School of Dentistry
- 2017, Deborah Wamsley, VCU Health, Mother/Infant Care Unit
- 2016, Susan Beavers, VCU Health, Wound Care Team
- 2015, Shirley Beavers, VCU Health, Cardiac Surgery ICU
- 2014, Debbie Teconchuk, VCU Medical Center, Clinical Enterprise Administration
- 2013, Deborah D. Van Buren, VCU Department of Communication Arts
- 2012, Wanda P. Clary, VCU Humanities & Sciences & Science, Technology & Society (STS) Program
- 2011, Patricia A. Pleasant, VCU School of Education
- 2010, Deborah L. Weir, VCU School of Medicine
- 2009, Kimberly A. Christman, VCU Department of Radiology
- 2008, Suzanne C. Havasy, VCU Department of Health Administration
- 2007, Linda S. Johnston, VCU Department of Music
- 2006, Deborah L. Stewart, VCU School of Medicine
- 2005, Laurette (Anderson-Conyard) Anderson-Gray, VCU Medical Center Administration
- 2004, Gilda R. Harris-Howard, VCU Department of Internal Medicine
- 2003, Michelle Craighead Wise, VCU Research - Institute for Structural Biology and Drug Discovery
- 2002, Karen S. Moss, VCU Stony Point Administration
- 2001, Miriam L. Mayhew, VCU Department of Clinical Laboratory Sciences
- 2000, Dorothy M. Winfree, VCU Employee Health Services
- 1999, Linda S. Pontius, VCU School of Business
- 1998, Debra B. (Doyle) Cody, VCU Department of Oral/Maxillofacial Surgery
- 1997, Vera E. Wilkerson, VCU Department of Internal Medicine - Cardiology
- 1996, Patricia G. Carr, VCU School of Allied Health Professions
- 1995, Marquita C. Aguilar, VCU School of Education
- 1994, Lila M. (Patterson) Garlick, VCU School of Social Work
- 1993, Monica L. White, VCU School of Allied Health Professions
- 1992, Mary L. Swartz, VCU Department of Psychiatry
- 1991, Janet H. Mundie, VCU School of Medicine
- 1990, Vickie W. Boss, VCU Medical Center Food/Nutrition Services
- 1989, Brenda E. Wyatt, VCU School of Nursing
- 1988, Shirley W. (Jones) Moss, VCU Community/International Programs
- 1987, Carole E. Harwell, VCU School of Nursing
- 1986, Lila M. Patterson, VCU School of Social Work
- 1985, India D. Urbach, VCU Human Resources
- 1984, Nancy (Knowles) Belcher, VCU School of Allied Health Professions
- 1983, Gwen M. Parker, VCU Department of Theatre
- 1982, Jane H. Crawley, VCU School of Social Work